Selling a home can sometimes feel like an uphill battle. If you’re green, you might be surprised to find the lists of items you need to complete, check in on, or contract before listing. But doing your research and hiring a seasoned agent can greatly impact your experience and result in a smooth, stress-free process. With that, doing preemptive research and housing prep doesn’t hurt. Home inspections have a reputation for either sweetening or ruining a deal. Skip the headache and take note of the items below that you can address ahead of time to make home inspection time a breeze for you and your Fulton Grace agent.
1. Fix Leaky Faucets and Clogged Drains
Be aware of any water damage or issues with plumbing. A small mishap with a home’s plumbing can be extremely costly.
2. Structural Issues
Complications within a home’s foundational structure can become a safety hazard. Consider some of these items and contact a professional for assessment immediately if you fear these might be present in your home.
- Cracks in basement walls or around door frames
- Uneven or bouncy floors
- Gaps between walls and floors
- Nails popping out of walls
- Cracks in brick or stonework
- Leaning front porch or stairs
- Cracked or leaning chimney
- Gaps around windows or door frames
3. Roof Damage
Roof damage can lead to another extremely costly repair. Survey your roofing for the following signs that your roof needs to be repaired.
- Loose or missing shingles
- Buckled or curled shingles
- Loss of texture on shingles
- Cracks or rust on flashing
- Excessive algae growth
- Soft spots or unevenness
- Moisture in attic or ceiling
4. Electrical damage Electrical damage is the fourth leading cause of home fires. If you notice any of the following issues in your home, consider having your home’s electric structure audited by a professional immediately.
- Exposed wiring and splices
- Undergrounded three-prong plugs
- Painted outlets
- Double Tapping of circuit breakers
- Improperly modified electrical panels
- Aluminum Wiring
- Wiring against sharp edges
- Rodent droppings
- Buzzing sounds
A poor inspection could be the determining factor of whether or not your property is sold. A failed inspection could be enough for buyers to step away from a home they initially thought was idyllic. Consult with your real estate agent to determine if the up-front cost for renovations is worth the money.
WHO IS FULTON GRACE?
We are one of Chicago’s leading providers of comprehensive real estate services. We are home to an ever-growing team of savvy & reputable local realtors, seasoned property managers, and customer-service oriented staff. Whether you’re looking to find a new home, sell your home, or have your property managed, let us be your trusted real estate advisors.