Chicago is penning its 11th annual love letter to its eaters. We’re talking of course about Chicago Restaurant Week! Skeptics will warn against overrated or ill-conceived deals, but our love for the event is bigger than that. We count off why in the “ode” below.
1. Food > weather. Shaking up your dormant lifestyle will ease the remaining winter weeks, and soothe your soul.
2. The variety. Over 370 restaurants itch to serve, so you’re sure to encounter something appetizing.
3. You won’t spend more than $44 (dinner) for a gourmet prix fixe experience. Lunch and brunch ring up around $22/$33 respectively. Beverages, tax, and gratuity not included.
5. The mystical “week” actually spans 14 days (through Feb 8). That means you can enjoy twice the discounted meal streak.
6. Newcomers (to Restaurant Week and the Chicago dining scene) like Pilsen’s HaiSous join the party. Vietnamese dishes and cool cocktails? Yes, please.
7. Doubling up on culture is encouraged. Marisol, the MCA’s built-in eatery, offers you the chance to lunch at the right price and exhibit hop.
8. A host of optimal pairings includes eating well and doing well. Throughout the 2 weeks, donate to the Greater Chicago Food Depository by texting “CRW” to “41444” or visiting Choose Chicago.
9. Instagram contest. Whether you’re a serial food grammer or not, we know you’ve framed some epic eats before (or during) consumption. Why not win prizes for your aesthetic? The more you submit, the better your chances. Amateur and expert entrants welcome. Find more details here.
10. Maybe you’ll meet someone. Over 648,000 Chicagoans tried a piece of Restaurant Week 2017, according to Eater Chicago. We like those odds.
11. The yearly event celebrates the diverse flavors this city “brings to the table” and the people that bring them there. So, get reserving!